Friday, November 11, 2011

"The Things they Carried"

In reading the background as to what this writing was/is about, what would've automatically came to my mind was to carry a gun. Thinking back, Vietnam was a dangerous place to be and it is considered one of the deadliest wars we have ever faced as a nation. However, reading this writing by O'Brien, made me actually feel what they went through and changed my first thought about what I would carry with me.
Throughout the beginning of the reading, it describes all the materials the men had carried with them. "Among the necessities or near-necessities were P-38 can openers, pocket knives, heat tabs, wristwatches, dog tags, mosquito repellent.." (pg 1459). Though these could be seen as important items to hold with you, I would probably carry photographs and letters as well, just like Lieutenant Jimmy Cross. In reading, I was able to grasp the feeling he had had with the possession of the photos of Martha. In describing the photos, it showed that there was much meaning towards her and so much love that actually aided him in his efforts to stay alive while fighting in the war. Because understanding the issue that you might/might not come home, I think, that this was a way of coping his feelings and living the happy aspect of his life through mementos such as photographs. Not only do the photographs provide this, but letters as well. I would carry both just because in reading his feelings and reactions, i feel, that having these objects would help me continue fighting. In looking at the meaning, Martha's letters, her presence, every aspect about her, kept Cross going each day. I think that maybe if he didn't have these tokens of her, I don't think that he would've been able to continue in living each day.

1 comment:

  1. I also would carry photographs with me. I would have 4 pictures, one of my family, one of my sister and I, one of my 3 best friends and I and one of my best friend here. Like you mentioned these object would help me keep fighting too. I'm sure that there would never be a day that one of them wasn't thinking of me if I was in combat. You are completely right when you mention that those photographs are a way of dealing with the miles from home. We're both from out of state going to school in Texas and I have pictures of all my family and friend back home because I still do miss them a lot. I'm sure you feel the same way, but our experience isn't near to what his was like, but we understand the purpose of a photograph.

    ReplyDelete